Saturday, August 6, 2011

One Month Down!

My friend and I outside Flinders Station
Well I cannot believe I am typing this but I've been here for an ENTIRE month today! The time has actually flown by although at first it seemed so slow. 
This post is dedicated to all the things that I've learned or still haven't learned since moving here.


Learned:


The transit system- I can get basically anywhere downtown, to school and home :)
How to speak "Australian" 

  • Howreyagoing? =Hey, What's up?
  • Nakkered = tired
  • Jumper= sweater
  • Heaps= tons, a lot
  • pot = half pint
Carry an umbrella or wear a hood even if it's sunny out, it will begin to rain no matter what!
Keep a sleeping bag at a friends house, because cabbing home every night from res is a good way to spend your entire budget
Going to the market is WAY cheaper than the grocery store (and more fun too)
Popcorn is not sold in more than 5 bags per box (and not sold at all at Costco)


Things I'll never get used to:


Looking the correct way when I cross the street (they drive on the left here)
That the blue bills are $10 not $5 (cab drivers thing I'm stupid- but I'm just Canadian!)
The purple bills are $5 not $10
Not having bulk popcorn!!!


All in all, I've met some amazing people (my roommates and international buddies)
Seen some amazing things (Australian Mountains, the city of Melbourne, cool animals at the aquarium, drank at a lot of different and interesting pubs)
And it's only getting started!



View of the city from Eureka Tower
 

No comments:

Post a Comment