Thursday, August 11, 2011

On the Hunt

After recovering from my birthday I have decided that it's time to buckle down. This first month here has been busy and amazing. I've partied a lot, seen the city, booked a trip to New Zealand, attended a ball, seen the new Harry Potter movie, got on a guest list to a club, toga-ed up, had a friend from home visit and even attended classes. 


However, now it's time to try to get a job.. and finish the homework that has been piling up. Minimum wage here in Australia is A LOT higher than in Canada ($15.51 an hour and $18 if you are 21 and over), where as in Canada it's between $10-$11. With my visa I can work up to 20 hours per week, and full time during school holidays, such as reading week, or over the summer. 


Thus far I've applied to various amounts of places, everything from social media journalist of Australian Food News to retail jobs in the Candy Room,  but I haven't heard much yet. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with a retail job, because everything from babysitting to being a security guard (which I was previously) requires extensive Australian training and licenses. 


Also, as it is the second semester here most of the student jobs on campus are already filled. And, as I am leaving to Canada for the "summer" vacation here (November til February), it's difficult to find a job that you have to quit in 4 months. I think next semester I'll be working in a co-op position through my school classes to get some media industry experience.


Hopefully next week I'll have something to report about employment. With only 2 classes a week entertaining myself with activities other than reading and cleaning is starting to get pricey!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe get a job at a pet store and sell spiders! that'd be dooooope!

    ReplyDelete