Monday, August 22, 2011

Ice and Sand

This weekend was amazing!! Every now and then I remember that I can be a tourist instead of just a student in this country. I also like any chance to rub in how Canadian I am. This weekend brought that chance with Melbourne's Winter Festival. It was a chance to strap on some skates and show my friends what being a northener is really about. 
The trick, the weather was 22 degrees, and the rink was outside! If you fell you were falling into a puddle more than ice. None the less it was quite the experience. We even got to meet some of the Melbourne Ice Wolves hockey players. While hockey players don't receive nearly as much recognition as they do in Canada the team was super nice and lots of fun. They raced us around the rink while riding orange seal shaped contraptions that help little kids skate. It was a blast!
Also to be noted, I went with my 3 friends from London, my new German roommate and my friend from Michigan. I don't think I need to tell you which of the 6 of us were not really skaters. However, my one friend it was her first time skating and she loved it and did really well. One of the things you will notice from the pictures is that EVERYONE has the orange rental skates, it's obviously not necessary to have your own pair of skates here, but that would be unheard of in Canada. 




Melbourne Ice Skating Rink Mascot

La Trobe Bobsled Team! 
To finish out the day we went to St. Kilda Beach at Port Philip to watch the sun go down and enjoy the weather. St. Kilda is a beautiful subburb with lots of little shops and unique restaurants. It even has a carnival that we are all anxious to go back to visit. Here are the pictures we took from that evening. It was like living out a postcard and reminded me of my hometown growing on Lake Erie. I thought all of Australia would be like this honestly, absolutely stunning.
"AUS"

Made it to the ocean!


Can't believe this is winter weather!


More posts to come! I've been slaving away with school work lately, but this weekend I had a lot of material to blog about, so more posts to come before this second month is finished. Spring starts September 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment