Friday, August 12, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is

Last night I had no intention of going out. I had readings (still do!). I was in my pjs.. I was comfy. 
But how can you say no to a Queer Party Hip Hop night?! 
First you need to know that i'm a sucker for a DJ. I love music of nearly all types and nothing feels better to me than getting lost in a club. What's more, Hip Hop is my favourite kind of music.. and Australia is not exactly known for it. So when my friend from Michigan called me up and told me that they were FLYING in a famous lesbian hip hop DJ from Sydney, I threw myself in the shower, grabbed a bottle and found myself spending the night with some amazing people. (Side note- a bunch of straight people didn't just got to a Queer Party, 3 of my friends are gay- but you'll have to guess who)
Me and who I consider my Best Friend here: Michigan




The gang BEFORE we left for the bar...


What is the point of this post? Last night was fantastic- drama free- and fun. The lethal combination of my new Swedish friends, and my North American buddies (we'll call them Oakville, Michigan, Florida and Georgia) combined with a great club atmosphere, made for an unreal evening. We took a lot of pictures that I have just recently posted on Facebook that made me laugh even harder this morning than I did when taking them.


Exhibit A:


Last night is the first night I felt really comfortable in my friend group. Everything was easy, the jokes, the dance moves, the cab rides, the drinking games, the photos. It was friendly and fun, the usual way it is with my friends back home. I really appreciated the night, because homesickness is something that all of us have to deal with on a daily basis. It's also something that you can talk about together, but no one else truly understands, because we are all from different places, missing different things and different people. So when you finally find a great group, like this one, it truly warms your heart, and you feel that sense of comfort, of home. 









I now have a home in two places:
Canada: with family, friends, my belongings, my cat, my favourite places to eat, etc.
and Australia: with friends, sore feet, empty wallet, hearing loss, adventure and a great big smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment