Saturday, July 23, 2011

Transportation Smansportation

Sorry for the lack of postings lately! Our router at home decided it didn't want to work the other day and we had to get a new one. However, I have many blogging topics to catch up on so prepare yourselves...

Today I am going to gripe about the transportation here in Melbourne. Now coming from Ottawa where OC Transpo, although not always reliable, is still a great system. Melbourne transportation however, is leaving something to be desired.
Now I didn't live on campus because I wanted to live with someone I knew and after being off res for 3 years I wasnt sure if doing a Master's degree at 22 is condusive to living with 30 other 18 year old undergrads. 
Now, ALL of my friends live on res, which means that I'm there quite frequently, especially since classes havent started so really, what else would I be doing? Normally in Ottawa this wouldn't be a problem because our buses run til later in the evening and fairly consistently. Also, at Carleton cabs were constantly available near residence for students to take wherever.
HOWEVER, here at La Trobe, the last bus during the week from my subdivision to the university leaves at 7:01pm. The bus to take my home from res leaves at 7:36pm and the bus doesnt run on Sundays. 
That means that I'm taking the last bus to campus and then paying $15 a night to cab home. I could stay over in res I suppose but on Saturday night busses dont run on Sunday anyways. 
Taxi's here are aweful as well. I'm pretty sure they give anyone with a drivers license a GPS and never the same area to work in because NO ONE knows where to pick me up in residence and the only cabs ive ever seen on campus are coming to get me. 
Then they don't know how to get to my house or my subdivision and having only lived in the city for 2 weeks I only know the bus route with twists and turns. Needless to say it's a little frustrating compared to Ottawa where I can get anywhere i need in the city in like 20 minutes any time before midnight. 
Finally, there is a weekend bus called The Night Rider, which runs from midnight til 5am Friday and Saturday evenings, however, waiting at the bus stop last night I did not ever see that bus. I had to call a cab and wait for an hour for that as well. 
That's mostly where this rant is coming from.
NOW the solution is that my dear friend from Detroit said I can leave a sleeping bag in her room for party nights. She is a most generous individual and I will definitely be investing a sleeping bag as soon as possible to save on cab fare. 
I'm also thinking that once classes start my partying will stop from every other day to once or twice a week.
And that's my first critique of Melbourne so far! I know that I said I was spending a year as Dorothy, but I didn't think I'd be taking the Yellow Brick Road everywhere!!

1 comment: