Sunday, July 17, 2011

International Relations

So I have made a lot of progress in the way of meeting people since my Orientation Week post. 
I met a lot of lovely people from all over the world through orientation and various events related to that. On Thursday night we had a boat cruise where all the international students could buy a ticket and tour down the Yarra River while drinking, dancing and socializing. 
At first I thought this might be a bit awkward but it turned out to be a great time and created a great friend group for me.


This is a picture of all of us on the boat cruise. Instead of giving names I'll say the places they are from- Starting left to right: Tampa Bay Florida, Leon France, Oakville Ontario, Guelph Ontario, London England x3, The Netherlands, and me! 


Now you might think that dressing up in your bedsheet is not a good way to meet people, however, if you had attended the Chisolm Residence toga party on Friday night you'd be very wrong!


As residence students they were entitled to a free ticket up Eureka Tower, the tallest tower in the Southern Hemisphere located downtown Melbourne... I snuck in with them!


And don't worry- I met a few boys too! They are from Georgia and Wisconsin- the four of us here went to the Melbourne Aquarium today to check out Australia's marine life. More pics to come from that adventure!

In short I've met a whole "heap" of great "mates"- to use Australian lingo. This has helped me cope a lot with my homesickness as well as pass the time until classes start. This week I'll be enrolling in classes... school is creeping up quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment