Saturday, July 9, 2011

First Impression

I have spent 2 full days now in Melbourne city. The first impression has been fantastic!! My lovely roommate Kristyna has shown me all the sights and set me up with a cell phone (A Samsung for $100, on a month to month plan).  My room is slowly coming along. It has a very comfy bed and a large closet, which is really all a girl needs.
It's pretty chilly here at around 8 degrees each day. However, that's nothing compared to the cold of Ottawa, and it never snows, so no trudging or boots necessary.

The subdivision we live in is about a 20 minute train ride from the downtown. And while transportation is pricey it is very efficient. I have never waited for more than 5 minutes for a train, tram or bus. 
Walking downtown is really nice too. Most of the malls are indoor outdoor do to the amazing weather. There is designer shopping on the main streets as well as more student friendly stores, such as The Reject Shop (similar to Giant Tiger) and the Big W, which I'm sure you can guess, is like Walmart.
There are many adorable ally ways lined with every kind of food imaginable (even poutine for my homesickness that is bound to kick in soon).
downtown Melbourne

St. Paul's Church

First Day in Melbourne

As you can see, everything in Melbourne is architecturally beautiful. Everywhere you look there is advertising or pretty buildings. 
So far I've been to a few pubs, the main square created in honour of Confederation, and shopped for room decorations and necessities.
I think I'm going to like it here.
Homemade Kangaroo Roast for dinner

1 comment: