Saturday, July 30, 2011

Somebody's Somebody

As I become better friends with the other international students I've met here I'm finding a common thing amongst us all; no matter what corner of the world someone comes from, everyone has a Somebody.
Your Somebody is a person that came into your life that you fell for, and either you're still with them, they broke your heart, or you broke theirs- no matter what the outcome, they are the person you always make reference to whenever relationships are discussed and the person that you think about whenever you have a new person you want to measure up and compare.
Now to explain the environment of a group of young adults moving the entire way across the world is one of a lot of loneliness. You're away from your friends, your family and your Somebody. This means that you make friends fast, and fall for people even faster. My group of friends haven't been here long and the Somebody talk is already starting! Hookups, rejections, crushes, friendships are daily activities in residence. 
Luckily for me, I'm still with my Somebody in a long distance thing and it's going quite well thanks to email, smart phones and skype. I'm the lucky one that gets to observe the drama (and blog about it!).
The thing I am observing the most is that whether people have been in several relationships, or none at all, there's a Somebody. Somebodies back home, crushes on Somebodies here.. "so and so was making out with Somebody last night!"
Obviously my BFF


My two best girls
Despite all this drama and confusion, it has made me realise that everyone has something in common, we all have a Somebody, and probably all are a Somebody. While this realisation is I'm sure a great annoyance to a few of my new friends at the moment, it makes me feel better to know that everyone loves and that's something we can all talk about (as I did for about 6 hours the other night).

With the recent events going on in Norway, I think it's important for everyone to realise the commonalities of people, instead of always focusing on what makes us different. So celebrate the Somebodies!!

2 comments: