Monday, October 3, 2011

Taupo NZ

Once we arrived in Taupo we got a bite to eat, checked into our hostels and paid for our 4Play Adventure package. The hostel was great, and full of rowdy English rugby fans that were good fun to watch whilst they drank themselves into a stupor. Our hostel, The Taupo Urban Retreat, was known as the cheapest bar in town, so myself and Danish enjoyed Tui, the local beer. It wasn't too bad.
Tui beer

View across Lake Taupo
Taupo is one of two Great Lakes in New Zealand, and we were told it is about the size of Singapore! It was nice to be around fresh water and reminded me of growing up on Lake Erie... except much cleaner! The water was beautifully clear. 
The next day we began our 4Play Adventure package, that was a tour of exciting things to do in Taupo. Guelph and Danish started the day by bungy jumping over the lake. There was no way I was participating in that part of the package! Newmarket agreed, so we just cheered them on from the observation point. 
Next we headed out to the helicopter pad and enjoyed a tour of Taupo in the air. We saw geothermal reserves, the Huka Falls and the surrounding area volancoes. It was awesome, as I had never been in a helicopter before.

Huka Falls
We felt very important after our helicopter ride, because they dropped us off at the Jetboat activity in the helicopter! We walked out and felt like movie stars heading into the tourist booth. The Jetboat ride was a lot of fun and goes much faster than you think! This picture is of us coming around after doing a 360 degree turn in the water. The boat also took us right up to the falls, which was really cool to see- although they are much much smaller than Niagara.
We are all in the second row here
After the Jetboat we were meant to go SKYDIVING!! This is something that has always been on my bucket list and I could not wait to go. However, the weather was grey and windy that day and we were not able to make it. As we were leaving the next night I was very nervous that we wouldn't be able to go the next morning.
Luckily, it was a clear blue day and at about 9:50am I was in a plane climbing 12,000 ft in the air with my 3 best buddies. Strapped to my JumpMaster Leski, I could not have been more excited!! Even when he teased me by saying "at 5,000 ft- remind me to pull the chute eh?!"
We also purchased a package of pictures and a video, this means that when we jump a camera man jumps out after us to video and take photos of our jump. It is a 20 minute plane ride, a 45 second free fall 7,000 ft and then the parachute is opened at 5,000 ft and you sail to the ground in about 5 minutes or so. I got to go first, and it was amazing! I was surprised to find that I wasnt scared at all. Maybe because I have had years of mental preparation waiting for this day. I had a few butterflies as the plane door opened and Leski said "hook your feet under the plane"- not a sentence you hear everyday. But I did it!
I remember it feeling a lot like a rollercoaster and seeing the ground, then the plane, then the ground before we leveled out and Leski tapped me to hold my arms out while I felt the free fall. Here is the result (I'll hopefully be able to upload the video at some point as well).
My "exit shot" meaning exiting the plane!


feeling the free fall and showing how high up we are
Rock on baby!

Happy as can be and a proud salute by Leski

Pulling the chute that saved our lives and sent us flying upwards
It was an amazing experience! I loved every minute of it. Once we pulled the chute Leski spun us around several times which made me very dizzy and I screamed like crazy. I also screamed a lot as we fell out of the plane and Leski laughed at me. He told me I was a brave little Canadian which made me quite proud. I suppose this is similar to the tornado part of The Wizard of Oz, spinning and sailing through the air- minus the protective house around me!
Once back on the ground we decided to do something a little more relaxing and headed to the spa. We got to go into large pool heated by the natural hot springs water. It was the perfect way to wind down after the adrenaline rush and get a tan.

Outside the spa with the mountains and NZ flags in the background

Then it was time to hike back to town and get on the bus to Napier! Taupo's experience was by far the most exciting, but it was also a cute town with an amazing view. I would go back anytime.




No comments:

Post a Comment