Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Half Way Point!

I will be in Australia for 143 days before I get to return home to family and friends for our summer vacation. Then at some point in February until June I will return for my second and last semester. Today is day 71! The half way point in my time here in Aus. Thus, now is the time to reflect on the little things here that remind me of home.


1) I still keep 2 blue Ottawa OC Transpo bus tickets in my purse. I don't even know if I'll be able to use them when I get to Ottawa in early December, but I refuse to throw them out.


2) A magnet on my fridge from the tourist attraction lighthouse in the small town where I grew up. I see it everytime I need a snack and it makes me smile


3) My backpack has an "I <3 Carleton U" pin on it that I received on my second tour of Carleton before I began my undergrad, but after I got accepted- also, my backpack is obviously a red Roots one.


4) I also keep a Canadian $10 bill in my wallet because often my friends ask me about what Canadian money looks like (lots of my American friends are jealous of our pretty colours). I have a penny too (they don't use pennies in Aus) and I keep it for luck.


5) Whenever I have a homesick day, I put on the Barenaked Ladies, The Arkells or The Hip while I take a shower


And yes, I still get homesick days. Especially now that I know it's so close. I've done so much since being here and I have loved every minute of it- but there really is "no place like home..."

No comments:

Post a Comment