Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blue Mountains Tour- Sydney

Our second full day in Sydney the girls and I decided to do a Blue Mountains day tour, as we heard that was the equivalent of Melbourne's Great Ocean Road. The tour wasn't as amazing as GOR in my opinion, but I didnt get to check a few things of my Australian To Do list. First we went to the Featherdale wildlife park:

This is a wombat, they are an adorable cross between a pig and a bear. I love them :)

A fancy looking bird

shhhh Koala is sleeping

Believe it or not these are birds. I never found out their name but I thought they were cute in a strange and unusal way

Kissing the koala, he was very soft

Feeding the tiniest kangaroo I could see, he licked the feed right out of my hand

An Australian Grey Kangaroo- the kind we saw out in the field on our Great Ocean Road trip

The barking owl- I was actually looking for a dog before I realise that this thing was "woofing" at me

Little Penguins, native to Australia (that is actually their name)

Albino peacock

Albino kangaroo

The Dingo that did not eat your baby

Crocodile- massive, massive crocodile!

If anyone is a Disney fan, this is a Goanna, like Joanna from The Rescuers Down Under movie


Next our tour headed to a lookout point in the Blue Mountains. The blue haze is caused by the combination of heat and the Eucalyptus trees in the area. 

This point is called The Three Sisters after the rock formation you can see behind me. The indigenous legend is that a man turned his three daughters to stone trying to protect them from a Bunyip (a mythical dog like creature, and also the name of the tour company we went to GOR with). Then the father lost his magic bone and could never return the girls back to their human form.


For lunch we stopped at the Katoomba golf and country club. It was really beautiful, but no time to play 9.

The world's steepest railway. It used to be the mine shaft cart, and when the mine closed down it became a tourist attraction.

It was super steep!


Reenacting our fear

Some wild adventures on the scenic walk through the coal mine and forest

Our tour finished with a tour of the Sydney Olympic park. It was a massive place but very cool to see where history was made

I really enjoyed the tour, but the definite highlight was being able to touch a koala and feed a kangaroo, I felt very Australian!

No comments:

Post a Comment